By Sin-Wai Chan
The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology offers a state-of-the paintings survey of the sphere of computer-assisted translation. it's the first definitive connection with supply a entire evaluation of the final, neighborhood and topical features of this more and more major sector of analysis.
The Encyclopedia is split into 3 parts:
- Part One offers common concerns in translation know-how, similar to its historical past and improvement, translator education and numerous facets of computing device translation, together with a precious case research of its educating at an enormous college;
- Part discusses nationwide and neighborhood advancements in translation know-how, supplying contributions overlaying the an important territories of China, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Japan, South Africa, Taiwan, the Netherlands and Belgium, the uk and the us
- Part 3 evaluates particular concerns in translation know-how, with entries curious about topics equivalent to alignment, bitext, computational lexicography, corpus, enhancing, on-line translation, subtitling and expertise and translation administration platforms.
The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology attracts at the services of over fifty members from world wide and a world panel of advisor editors to supply a variety of articles at the such a lot pertinent subject matters within the self-discipline. the entire articles are self-contained, generally cross-referenced, and comprise precious and up to date references and data for additional examining.
It should be a useful reference paintings for an individual with a certified or educational curiosity within the topic.
Read or Download Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology PDF
Similar language & grammar books
Uncomplicated suggestions and types for Interpreter and Translator education is a systematically corrected, better and up-to-date avatar of a e-book (1995) that's customary in T & I education programmes around the world and commonly quoted within the foreign Translation reports group. It presents readers with the conceptual bases required to appreciate either the rules and recurrent matters and problems in specialist translation and analyzing, guiding them alongside from an advent to basic communique concerns in translation to a dialogue of the usefulness of analysis approximately Translation, t.
This examine investigates the phonological habit of coronal consonants, i. e. sounds produced with the end or blade of the tongue. The research attracts on info from over one hundred twenty languages and dialects. A definition of coronality is proposed that rejects the present view protecting that palatals are certainly marked for this option.
Deutsche Sprachlehre fur Auslander, Grundstufe in einem band [Paperback]
- Speaking of Colors and Odors (Converging Evidence in Language and Communication Research)
- Language Contact in the Early Colonial Pacific: Maritime Polynesian Pidgin before Pidgin English
- Language and Ethnicity (Key Topics in Sociolinguistics)
- Form miming meaning: iconicity in language and literature
Extra info for Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Technology
Controlled languages are subsets of natural languages which use a restricted vocabulary and grammar in order to reduce or eliminate ambiguity and complexity. Some of these controlled languages are designed to improve communication between humans. Some of them make it easier for non-native speakers to read technical documentation. Some aim to improve the quality of machine translation, and another group of controlled languages serve as high-level interface languages to semantic systems where automated reasoning is important.
2005: 26−30; Kavak 2009; Elita and Gavrila 2006: 24−26). One of the major shortcomings of this generation of computer-aided translation systems is that sentences with full matching were very small in number, minimizing the reusability of translation memory and the role of translation memory database (Wang 2011: 141). Some researchers around 1980 began to collect and store translation samples with the intention of redeploying and sharing their translation resources. Constrained by the limitations of computer hardware (such as its limited storage space), the cost of building a bilingual database was high, and with the immaturity in the algorithms for bilingual data alignment, translation memory technology had been in a stage of exploration.
Corporate operation began in 1984, system commercialization, in 1988, and regional expansion, in 1992. Company operation It was during this period that the first computer-aided translation companies, Trados in Germany and Star Group in Switzerland, were founded in 1984. These two companies later had a great impact on the development of computer-aided translation. The German company was founded by Jochen Hummel and Iko Knyphausen in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1984. Trados GmbH came from TRAnslation and DOcumentation Software.