By M. O. Wise
A research of 1 of the Qumran texts, analyzing its features and authorship. the writer concludes that the Temple Scroll used to be an eschatalogical legislation e-book, composed round one hundred fifty BC via `The instructor of Righteousness' and never a made from the Qumran group.
Read Online or Download A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll from Qumran Cave 11 (Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization, No. 49) PDF
Best sacred writings books
The beginning of legislations within the Hebrew Bible has lengthy been the topic of scholarly debate. until eventually lately, the historico-critical methodologies of the academy have yielded unsatisfactory conclusions in regards to the resource of those legislation that are woven via biblical narratives. during this unique and provocative examine, Calum Carmichael -- a number one student of biblical legislations and rhetoric -- means that Hebrew legislations was once encouraged by way of the examine of the narratives in Genesis via 2 Kings.
This winning quantity of essays through exclusive students not just makes a contribution to the learn of outdated testomony prophets but in addition summarizes scholarship in a manner fairly acceptable to scholars, giving entry to fabric to be had differently simply in different languages or in journals tricky to acquire.
Ratheiser's learn presents the framework for a non-confessional, mitzvoth ethics-centered and historical-philological method of the Jewish bible and bargains with the elemental steps of another paradigmatic viewpoint at the biblical textual content. the writer seeks to demostrate the ineptness of confessional and ahistorical methods to the Jewish bible.
Introduces a manner of interpreting and reading biblical literature
- Selected Christian Hebraists
- The Hebrew Bible Today: An Introduction to Critical Issues
- Head, Eyes, Flesh, and Blood: Giving Away the Body in Indian Buddhist Literature
- Judgement and Salvation: The Composition and Redaction of Micah 2-5
- The Social Meanings of Sacrifice in the Hebrew Bible: A Study of Four Writings
- The View of Women Found in the Deuteronomic Family Laws
Extra resources for A Critical Study of the Temple Scroll from Qumran Cave 11 (Studies in Ancient Oriental Civilization, No. 49)
The "Temple and Courts" document: 2:1-13:8; 30:3^17:18 2. The "Festival Calendar" document: 13:9-30:2 3. A "Purity Collection": 48-51:10 4. The "Laws of Polity": 51:11-56:21; 60:1-66:17 5. The "Torah of the King": 57-59 Wilson and Wills supposed that these sources once circulated separately. The first to be combined were numbers 1 and 4. A later redactor added numbers 2 and 3, while number 5 may have been added either at the same time, or have been a part of number 4 prior to the later additions.
The third-person pronominal forms הראה/)היאה. 159 154. As a partial list, see the following: A. Caquot, "Rouleau du Temple," p. 34; M. Delcor and F. GarciaMartinez, Introduction, p. 202; Dimant, "Sectarian Literature," p. 530; T. Elgvin, "The Qumran Covenant Festival and the Temple Scroll," JJS 36 (1985): 103-6; Maier, "Kultfrömmigkeit," p. 34; W. " SRISR 14 (1985): 5; Mink, "The Use of Scripture in the Temple Scroll and the Status of the Scroll as Law," SJOT 1 (1987): 25; Schürer, History, 3:412-13 (written by Vermes); Smith, "Helios," p.
119. H. Stegemann, "Die Bedeutung der Qumranfunde für die Erforschung der Apocalyptik," in Apocalypticism in the Mediterranean World and the Near East: Proceedings of the International Colloquium on Apocalypticism, ed. D. Hellholm (Tübingen: J. C. B. Möhr, 1983): 515-16. 12C Y. Yadin, "Militante Herodianer aus Qumran," LM 18 (1979): 355-58. 121. Β. Z. Wacholder, The Dawn of Qumran: The Sectarian (Cincinnati: Hebrew Union College Press, 1983). Torah and the Teacher of Righteousness 122. For reviews, see P.